[access-uk] Re: xp upgrade question

  • From: Wally.Harding@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:39:33 +0100

Carol

for more information about PowerQuest look at
www.powerquest.com/driveimage
they've been bought out by Symantec but don't let that bother you. the
product is called powerquest drive image 7 and there's a link for it on =
the
page given above.

It currently costs =A339.99 according to their web site.

very little configuration was necessary, but I do use it in it's =
simplest
form but that's all I need.

Basically, I made a backup image of the drive after installing windows =
XP
and jaws and another image of the drive as a current working system. =
This
includes all my software, set up and working correctly.

I have my OS and software on a 20GB drive and each image is about 3 to =
4GB
in size. the images can be placed on a second drive within the machine, =
on
an external drive, on a network drive or burned to CD or DVD and stored
off-site, as it were.

Touch wood, I've not yet had to restore an image but I was warned that =
if
powerQuest  couldn't lock down the hard drive then I might need sighted =
help
to start the restore.

One of the beauties of this software is that I don't have to leave =
windows
to create the backup images, which means I have full jaws support, =
barring
scripting issues of course, during the image creation.

You used to be able to get a demo which is fully functional, the only =
thing
is that it won't actually save the backup image, but you can at least =
see
how you need to get round it with jaws.

Having said that, I've just had a look for the download for the demo =
but
can't seem to get past the PDF version of the licence agreement as =
there
doesn't seem to be a graphic to move on from that page.

Oh! one other thing, from what I remember the download is a big one, if =
you
should find a way to get to it.

Wally Harding
RNIB Hi-tech support