[access-uk] Re: xml file extention

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:48:15 -0000

XML is a mark up language similar to HTML.  Here's what Wikipedia
says:

Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a set of rules for encoding
documents in machine-readable form. It is defined in the XML 1.0
Specification[4] produced by the W3C, and several other related
specifications, all gratis open standards.[5]

XML's design goals emphasize simplicity, generality, and usability
over the Internet.[6] It is a textual data format with strong support
via Unicode for the languages of the world. Although the design of XML
focuses on documents, it is widely used for the representation of
arbitrary data structures, for example in web services.

Many application programming interfaces (APIs) have been developed
that software developers use to process XML data, and several schema
systems exist to aid in the definition of XML-based languages.

As of 2009, hundreds of XML-based languages have been developed,[7]
including RSS, Atom, SOAP, and XHTML. XML-based formats have become
the default for most office-productivity tools, including Microsoft
Office (Office Open XML), OpenOffice.org (OpenDocument), and Apple's
iWork.[8]