[access-uk] Re: working with a dueal os system

  • From: "John Gregory" <jgm.gregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 21:00:54 -0000

Hi Austin,

The only way to have both on your system is to dual boot.

If you do dual boot, the last OS to be installed will become  the 'default'
and will always boot into that OS.

Adaptive technology such as screen readers do not now read the DOS element
of the bootup process, so there is no way of knowing the exact instance the
bootup menu appears. However, as I say, if for example, you install Win 7 on
to C drive and then Win 8 on to D drive then Win 8 would become the default.

When you reboot, a boot menu will appear on the screen with 2 options, the
default 'Win 8' and an option for 'Win 7'. This lasts on screen for about 30
seconds unless you have changed it and then continues to boot into the
default OS. The only way you can change the OS without sight is to estimate
the timing of the boot menu. When I had a dual boot system I just waited for
the CD/DVD to be recognised and then waited around 5/10 seconds and pressed
the down arrow key once to change the OS. One thing which is always constant
is that the 'default' will always be highlighted at the top of the menu, so
pressing down arrow once will always go to the other OS. Timings can be
trial and error, so the only way of knowing is to try it and see, the worst
it can do is boot into the default OS.

Even if you do install Win 7 first and then Win 8 (which becomes the
default) you can change the default within the system so that the Win 7 OS
becomes the default. I assume this would be your preference rather than Win
8 and that you would want Win 7 on C drive.

The other thing you might want to consider is the way you install the OSs',
if you do an unattended install for both, unless you have specified that Win
7 installs to c drive and Win 8 to d drive, then the second install will
overwrite the previous installation - just something to be aware of. You may
also wish to divide your HDD into 2 partitions, i.e. c: and d: before you
install and disable any formatting process that either of the OS
installation may be programmed to do on installation.

Conplex and lots to think about, but beats having to install and uninstall
while trialling Win 8. The only other way of trialling is possibly to use a
virtual drive, but not sure how this works or whether virtual drives are
accessible to screen readers, you would need to research this option, if
indeed it is an option .

John.