[access-uk] Re: wireless security

  • From: "Andy Collins" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:23:01 +0100

Ray - I didn't find setting up a wireless network too difficult, but it
might well differ determined by the hardware involved. When I got my Netgeer
modem/router, it came with a software cd that had a set-up wizard that took
me through the installation of the hardware; during this set up, you can
choose the level of security you want, but you can always change it later
from the router's home page, where you can also changed the name you call
your network etc.

Once this first step was done, I went in to network connections on my
laptop, where I could see the available networks, there were 3, including
the one I had set up, the other 2 were somebody elses that my laptop could
see. I tried to connect to the wireless network name that I had set up
during the guided set up, this brought up a connections wizard on the
laptop, where I could enter the same security I had chosen during the
hardware set up, and enter the network name, as well as choosing to always
connect to that network.

It's a while ago, and I'm going from memory, but I think that was pretty
much it.

Anyway, HTH -

Andy