From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Adrian Higginbotham
Sent: 04 February 2009 12:08
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] which braille display?

Hi all:

My powerbraille 80 is getting a bit war damaged so before I get it
serviced I'm doing a bit of a trawl of the Braille display market to see
what's around, and considering if it's time to update.

What is good at present?

If I'm going to get a new one I would want to get something portable so
30 to 40 characters, probably with wireless connection, and that works
well and reliably with Jaws.

I don't need a portable  notetaker or the ability to input Braille from
the display although the capacity to take very shord notes on an instant
on device does have some appeal.

Price isn't too important although I would want to feel the product was
decent value for money for it's quality and performance.

Some of the handytech range seem to fit the bill but if the website is
to be believed there is only one UK supplier.  And the latest alvas
looked good when I had some chance to use them last year but I don't
think there is any uk supplier of these.

What do you use, what is good and bad about it, and who supplies it?

Or, if you're a supplier, what would you recommend and why, and how can
I try the product out.

Off list at Adrian.higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx if you prefer especially as
such commercial detail might be considered as advertising if posted to
the list.

Thanks.

Adrian Higginbotham,

Manager, Leading edge research

Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Becta switchboard 02476-416994

Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/ <http://www.becta.org.uk/>

BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ

Click here
<https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/wQw0zmjPoHdJTZGyOCrrhg==
x91ZXWMNcSVCvkHifvJNIUrLBuLZZv0!rLagvJyt6ermNw==>  to report this email
as spam.

--
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.