[access-uk] Re: when is the new Braille coming out as I have had some information

  • From: "ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:37:06 +0200

Dave, Could you give me some sort of pointers for electronic braille documents? Most of my work I study with JAWS, but, for example, I study a Zulu and Spanish, and if given a choice in class I'll always opt for hard-copy over any form of electronic braille because of the following: 1. With hard-copy, I can quickly scan the and find what I'm looking for, quickly see new paragraphs, headings and subsections of the work, example if the lecturer says go to number B, I can just quickly scan the begining of lines to get to where I want to go. You could try and use find and replace with a notetaker, but believe me, it's a lot slower, and absolutely crap trying to wrestle with a small braille display. Navigation features on a notetaker are awful compared to a laptop or computer. Also, if a person is rapidly reading a dialogue or a piece of text, it's much easier finding the end of it with hardcopy. Not to mention that language support on a pac mate is awful. What would be cool is if a large display, the size of a braille page could be invented, but that is of course still a dream. I must agree with you about braille versus audio for studying or reading books, I could never read as much in braille in a day compared to what I can study on my book courier, you don't need to worry about the physical aspect when you're studying for an exam, it's then just mental. It's great to even be able to be in bed at 1 in the morning listening to your work in a frantic, student-like effort to try and cram everything in!-) Ari