[access-uk] virgin media and accessibility

  • From: "john coley" <johncoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:02:50 -0000

Hi everybody, as there are fellow Virgin Media customers on the list I thought
I'd post this to check that all are getting braille bills as they should.
  I have been with twhat is now Virgin media, formerly Telewest and then NTL
since 2001. I have become increasingly sickened by the company's treatment of
blind customers. Earlier this year I threatened to sue, and surprise surprise,
I started receiving braille bills. I am also addressing with them the issue of
inaccessibility of their tv services. Apart from program and channel listings,
which differ from package to package there is the information given on screen,
and also on the digi box.
  It would help me considerably if any here who are blind Virgin Media
customers could take this matter up similarly. At least then I won't be taking
them on alone. Changes are far more likely to be made if a number of customers
are affected than if there's just one.
  I understand that a talking digi box is planned, although I don't know
exactly when, and if it will be all Virgin digi boxes.
                    John.