[access-uk] Re: using Pda's

  • From: "ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:07:41 +0200

Hi Lara,
I've never used these properly, only quickly shown Mobile Speak Pocket, but all
that I really about them is, I don't know how Hal works, but Mobile Speak
divides the PDA screen into areas, so you have huge areas to tap for one thing,
so you don't need to worry about mistapping. You can actually use what they
call a Virtual Keyboard, where you use your finger of the pda when writing with
mobile speak, even as a totally blind person! When the dealer told me this, I
was actually quite surprised, because, I mean, you'd really have to use memory,
and, for writing, how could you know exactly where on the screen to touch for
so many letters? But you apparrently slide your finger over the screen, I
really not sure, but there might also be an overlay available, and you can of
course get one of those small, stylish bluetooth keyboards. I've also heard
that braille input and grade 2 braille support is still not that great. Mobile
Speak Pocket also comes under their new licensing idea, so if you ever want to
upgrade the pda or something you won't have a problem, but I was also quite
interested in these things for uni, but decided on none of them because I love
braille, and there wasn't a braille solution, but now there is in a way. If I
had to decide now, because technology's moving so fast, I'd really think about
the pda because it's cheaper and you can just upgrade. Here are some links
which could help you decide, I'll also ask for experiences on the list of blind
South Africans. I know that when wanting to buy stuff you really wish there was
someone who'd just tell you that this one or that one's really rubbish, but
I've not used one properly.
http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw080503
http://www.axistive.com/review-mobile-speak-pocket-9.html
http://www.accessibleworld.org/category/site-categories/tek-talk-archives?page=4

(this one has one on Pocket Hal and Mobile Speak Pocket.)
http://www.vitechpodcast.com/episodes.php
http://www.quantech.com.au/easylink12
There's also the whole Main Menu place on acb radio, as well.
Ari