[access-uk] Re: trekker breeze walk podcast

  • From: "James O'Dell" <katherineandjames@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:25:48 +0100

I wondered whether this might happen! Let me bring a different perspective to this. I am very interested in the potential of GPS orientation and like many people am put off by the high prices and the uncertainty about how useful it will be at a practical , every-day level to a totally blind person. About three years ago, I played with the original Wayfinder Navigator (not Wayfinder Access, which wasn't yet available) on my Nokia 6630. Overall, it was disappointing, some of its main disadvantages including the fact that navigation instructions were often quite vague, the fact that intersections weren't announced and the lack of any ability to identify your current position. I also looked at Trekker, but even with a Bluetooth receiver the whole package seemed rather too cumbersome to be taking around with you everywhere you went, and then there was also the concern about having to make sure that three different components of the system are all charged and ready to go, not to mention the price.

As someone who has never successfully used a GPS orientation product to get anywhere, my mobility has mainly been based on remembering routes, asking directions from passers-by and all the other methods we know and love. It takes quite a leap of faith to go from that kind of mobility to putting all your trust in a map-based route generated by a computer. To me, the Trekker Breeze looks like a useful introduction to GPS orientation which will enable me to build on my existing set of skills and to develop a greater familiarity with my surroundings. I particularly like the ability to "record" an existing route, rather than being forced to use a route calculated by the system, irrespective of whether this is in fact the safest or best route for a blind pedestrian. I am hoping that the Breeze will allow me to learn new routes more quickly - which will be especially important as I have moved house eight times in six years and am just about to move again - and enable me to become more confident in my mobility.

If it works and I find that I want/need to do more routes completely independently a few years down the line, I dare say I'll be shelling out for the full Trekker or giving WF Access a try, depending on the situation. But I still see the Breeze as a useful bridge between not using GPS at all and relying more extensively on it.

James
----- Original Message ----- From: "will lomas" <lomaswilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>