[access-uk] trekker breeze walk podcast

  • From: "john coley" <johncoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "accessUK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:04:55 +0100

Hi everybody, I'm awaiting with interest peoples' comments now we've had opportunity to hear the Trekker Breeze. Judging by the comments of those on the walk they were less than impressed with its performance. It only announced one road junction, and that was it. Noannouncements of surrounding features, pubs, theatres, etc, as Humanware claim in their blerb it will announce. The only ttwo things that were announced were a trash bin and the sight village gates, both of which had been manually entered as landmarks. A lady asked the question if she was going to the hospital by taxi and then walking back would the trekker breeze take her home. The guy from Humanware said it would, but the taxi would have to take the exact route she'd walk. In another part of the podcast someone asked about announcements of surrounding features, and one of the items consisted of a snatch of conversation between walkers, which the unit said was 400 feet from a road junction. Over the whole walk there were very few announcements. I take it the Humanware rep was sighted. The best test of it would have been for the walk to have been done with the blind party, without the sighted guy, just using the trekker breeze. Given how little it would seem to be able to do without being told I think the price is excessive.

                   John.