[access-uk] Re: the kindle

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:11:54 -0000

John,

There are four rows of keys on the keyboard.
Row 1 q w e r t y u I o p menu
Row 2 a s d f g h j k l Del
Row 3 z x c v b n m . Sym Return
Row 4 Shift Alt space PagePreferneces Home back

Most of the keys are round, except for Menu, Home and Back which are the width
of two keys fused together, and space which is the width of five keys fused
together. Below menu and above Back is a four-way arrow key with an Enter
button in the middle;

Two ways to get numbers. One way is to press the Sym key to get an array of
symbols with four rows and 12 columns. On my Kindle 3 wifi Voice Guide doesn't
read the symbols, which are:
Row 1 : < > " ? { } | ' ~ £ €
Row 2 ; , . ' / [ ] \ open double quotes close double quotes Spanish exclaim
Spanish question
Row 3 ! " # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ +
Row 4 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - =

Since looking at this question, every time I open the symbols array, my focus
is on comma, row two and column two. I don't recall where focus was the first
time I opened the array, but basically I can get to number 1 by pressing
DownArrow a few times and LeftArrow a few times. Then I can enter numbers by
using LeftArrow and RightArrow and Enter.

A second way to get a number is to press Alt (to the left of the space bar) and
Q for 1, W for 2 and so on up to P for 0. You have to press Alt each time you
want a number.

The first way is the quickest for putting in a series of numbers, because once
you're on the symbol array, it stays there until you toggle it off again by
pressing the Sym key for a second time.

Steve