[access-uk] setting up a network with ADSL modem

  • From: "yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:32:42 -0000

Hi all, I know this has been covered before on this list probably several times in-fact but you know how it is, when your not directly interested in something you don't tend to read messages. Anyway.

I have a desktop with a direct ADSL connection on it and a laptop. I'd like to network the two together so that I can get files easily from one to the other, allow my laptop to use the ADSL connection and do this all wirelessly and securely!!. My laptop and desktop are in separate rooms although the rooms are next door to each other.

My current ADSL modem was one provided by BT and I was told that this modem was not suitable for multiple computers, so presumably I need to get a different modem?

Do I need to get a router as well?

Is it possible for my laptop to access the internet using the router and modem when the desktop is turned off?

My current internet connection is 1 MBPS.

In the future I might want to add a third computer to my little network.

Oh and my laptop is a Compaq presario 1500T.

Any help and advice much appreciated.
Cheers

Yusuf

** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send a message, to ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq