[access-uk] setting up a network
- From: "yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:05:24 -0000
Hi all, I finally got round to installing my NetGear router/ADSL modem/fire
wall/teasmaid (grin) the other day on my desktop and a wireless network card
for my laptop. At the moment I can get online from both computers using the
router. I have a couple of questions though.
1. What is the process for networking the two PCs together so that I can access files from the desktop on the laptop and the other way round? Both computers are using windows XP one is home the other is pro.
2. Whats to stop anyone with a wireless enabled device coming in to range and using my router to access the web? When I installed the wireless card on my laptop it found the netgear router straight away and connected me directly to the net without asking for any kind of passwords or anything. Does this mean that if someone was so minded they could access my desktop through the wireless router? Even if I can't from my laptop? Presumably NIS would block this even if the hardware firewall didn't.
I am intending to sit down and read the manuals over the weekend, any help in the meantime would be much appreciated.
** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe] ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to: ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** and in the Subject line type ** unsubscribe ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the ** immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq
Other related posts:
- » [access-uk] setting up a network