[access-uk] Re: preparing for clean installation of XP

  • From: "Christopher Hallsworth" <chrishallsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:54:33 +0000

First, yes doing a clean install will affect your JAWS registration
since a clean install will wipe your hard disk clean. Second, you will
need to have your drivers ready as Windows XP does not come with every
make and model of hardware that it supports. Under the hood, if you hear
no sound, then it means Windows hasn't recognized your sound card and
therefore you need to download drivers. Last but not least, you might be
able to reinstall MS Word 2000 OEM, however you'll be stuck if you're
asked for a product key. Somewhere on the packaging there should be a
product key. If not, I would consider saving up and buy Office 2003. I
hope this helps, and have fun reinstalling Windows!
P.S. Warning! After installing Windows XP You will have 30 days to
activate it. After that you'll be locked out until it's activated.
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:52:15 +0000, "Andy Collins"
<Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Hi all -
>
> I've backed up all it seems I can in readiness for a clean reinstall
> of XP. Will this affect JAWS registration? Also, I've been looking
> through my installed programmes, and I've got several programme files
> I have backed up, but I wonder about things like things such as my
> sound card, for which I have no installation cd, and therefore, no
> driver files. Do I need to worry about this? Also, I have a version
> of MS Word2000 that I would like to reinstall; the original
> installation for this was as an oem licence on an earlier PC, so I
> don't have a user licence code for it, evne though it is legally mine
> to use. Any way I can copy or back this up so as to reinstall it
> after installing XP again?
>
> Regards -
> Andy

Christopher Hallsworth