[access-uk] Re: plextalk ptr1

  • From: gw4nby@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:47:41 -0000

Thanks Ray,

Interesting that rnib are not mentioning the ptr2.

Not sure whether to grab a ptr1 at the reduced price or hang on a
while.

On 31 Jan 2006 at 22:31, Ray's Home wrote:

> Interesting question Keith.  Seems Plextor's PTR1 has been discontinued, but
> I'll quote from an email I found via Google.  (This message dates from back
> in September 2005.)  Interesting the reasons given, to Changes in EU
> regulations.  Here's a bit about the PTR2.  I'll follow that with the PTR
> discontinuation notice.
>
> Ray
>
> Personal emails:  Email me at
> mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx
>

> PTR2, taken from
> http://www.plextalk.com/in/ptr2_top.html
> PTR2 is designed to be a high quality recorder with the ability to
create DAISY 2.02, audio only, books and Music CDs. It can play
DAISY titles, Music CDs and Audio File CDs and CF cards. It can
be used as a CD-RW or memory card drive when connected to a
computer. For quicker and easier editing of your DAISY content,
the PTR2 is supplied with the Plextalk Recording Software (PRS).
This package gives you all the necessary tools to record, edit and
finalize your own audio only DAISY 2.02 books.
> PTR2 can be operated in 2 main modes called "Normal" mode
and "Book Creator" mode. You can switch between these 2 modes
at any time. The PTR2 will be supplied with Normal mode set as
the default. Normal mode gives you a simplified interface and
makes the process of creating a recording very straightforward.
This mode of operation is ideal for a beginner or for someone who
wants to make a recording quickly and easily. Some of the more
advanced recording and editing features are not available to you in
this mode. Book Creator mode gives you all the necessary tools to
create a fully structured, audio only, DAISY 2.02 book including
insert, punch in and overwrite recording, phrase editing and the
ability to set heading levels.

> Discontinuation of PTR1 (Support to continue)
> We are sorry to inform that the sales of PTR1 will be end when
the current
> stock runs out. However the service and repair will be continued.
> In Europe, from July 1, 2006, a new environmental regulation
called ROHS
> will be introduced.
> (ROHS: The Restriction of Hazardous Substances in electrical
and electronic
> equipment directive)
>
> In this directive, no lead contained material or components must
be used in
> the equipment or devise. We have contacted parts suppliers to
keep the
> current PTR1,
> but no alternative parts were found. As a result, the design of
PTR1 must
> be changed.
>
> The follow-up model called PTR2 complying with RoHS will be
released before
> the end of 2005 and
> the product details will be announced around the end of
September.

> -- Unquote --
>
> Regarding the software upgrade of PTR1, we do apologize that
we have not
> release it recently.
> Unfortunately, no new version-up software will be released within
2005.
> When the date of new software release becomes available, the
announcement
> will be made on our web site.
> Thanks for your continuous support of our products.

Keith Barrett

- - - -

Keith Barrett
e-mail <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>