[access-uk] new free weekly summary of adaptive tech news available

  • From: Dean Martineau <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-x@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, blindtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, blindad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jfwlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gui-talk@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:47:20 -0800

Introducing TTTT (Top Tech Tidbits on Thursday,) a free, concise weekly summary of what's new in adaptive technology, technology as it relates to the blind, and Internet audio.

Some of you remember that Amy Ruell undertook a few years ago to create a subscription-based system for keeping all of us up to date on the latest happenings in technology for the blind. TTTT's price and scope are much different, but the aim is the same. How many people do you know who would like to stay abreast with the latest news, but don't want to monitor many, or any mailing lists? Now they can subscribe to TTTT.

TTTT is free, and plans are for it to remain free. It will appear on Thursdays stateside. Subscriber e-mail address are used only for sending the newsletter, and are not shared.

Progress in adaptive technology occurs both through the efforts of companies who provide adaptive software and hardware, and through the initiatives of individuals who either customize a program or device to make it accessible or discover a hitherto unknown gem. We'll feature both types of news in TTTT.

You might find two other sorts of tidbits in TTTT, especially in slow news weeks. First, you might find an intriguing web page or two to look at. (Those of you who were around during the Sound Computing days know I have quite a few of these, and you are free to pass on your own discoveries.) Second, you might find a link to a freeware or shareware program I or somebody else have discovered and found useful.

If you have news, big or small, that you think others might benefit from, send it along and, if I agree, I'll distill it and include it in an upcoming issue.

To show you what TTTT is like, I'm putting the first issue here below.

I am sending this message to these lists: blind-x, blindad, blindtech, access-uk, jfwlist, and gui-talk. Feel free to post it to other lists where it is on topic, and to individuals who might be interested.

TTTT, December 16, 2004

In this first issue of TTTT, we'll catch up a little on recent news, so this issue might be busier than most.

Jonathan Mosen doesn't get to do as much general technology reviewing as he once did, but he did review the new Google desktop search program, quite favorably. http://www.audioblog.com/playweb?player=2&audioid=Pf8af5d43dc2dce27c993eaa48f4e6685ZV56QlREYmJy&buffer=5&autoplay=1&fcolor=CCFF33&bcolor=FFFFFF&size=20

The folks at the International Braille and Technology Center of the U.S. NFB have created a Gift Guide 2004, published in the November Braille Monitor. http://www.nfb.org/bm/bm04/bm0411/bm041110.htm

Kathy Ann Murgha is offering 25% off her adaptive technology textbooks purchased during this holiday time. http://www.accesstechnologyinstitute.com

The public beta process has begun for Window-Eyes version 5.0. This version promises improved access to Microsoft Word, access to the popular web browser Mozilla, a better color dictionary and a more sensible laptop keyboard layout, anong other improvements. For information or to try it: http://www.gwmicro.com/index.php?showStory=11. For an audio demonstration conducted by one of the testers, on For the People: http://gwmicro.com/audio/a-d-11-28-04.mp3

the November, 2004 issue of AccessWorld contains a review of the two systems seeking to make mobile phones accessible to the blind: http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw050604

Users of the Pac Mate can now benefit from scripts designed to make the AIM instant messaging client more accessible. Get the scripts at http://www.pacmategear.com/files/scripts/AimScripts.zip. Scripts are also available for the Olive Tree Bible program, at http://www.pacmategear.com/files/scripts/OliveTreeScriptsV10.zip

A series entitled Talking Turkey about Household Appliances and Consumer Electronics begins in the December issue of the Braille Monitor with a discussion of the pitfalls of buying usable stoves and ovens: http://www.nfb.org/bm/bm04/bm0412/bm041205.htm. The same issue contains a discussion of accessible to Microsoft products by Curtis Chong: http://www.nfb.org/bm/bm04/bm0412/bm041206.htm

Moving Mountains Technology is making their easy-to-use Diary 2005 available for free download at http://www.moving-mountains.com/

A talking dictionary is available from the UK for the cost of shipping: http://www.rwfts.com/

The makers of the Freedom Box have released a public beta of System Access, a low-cost, new and transportable way to gain access to conducting basic Windows tasks without a screen reader. To try it, go to http://freedombox.info.

The Access to Assistive Technology for Individuals with Disabilities Act of 2004 has passed, strengthening existing ATAP's which are a leading source of funding for adaptive technology in the U.S. http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw060109&Special=33

ACBRadio conducted extensive and historic live broadcasts from the World Blind Union convention in Capetown, South Africa. This material is now available on demand, at http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=30&MMN_position=41:29

In a recent discussion on one list of the best places to buy compact flash cards, recommendations included http://www.buy.com and http://www.dealram.com/

Finally, JAWS for Windows 6.0 was released on Wednesday afternoon. This version provides Remote Access for Citrix and Terminal Services, new abilities to customize display of hard-to-read web controls, as well as pdf and Word forms, a demo of Freedom Scientific's daisy reader, and many more enhancements. http://www.hj.com/fs_products/software_jaws60intro.asp

** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send a message, to ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq