[access-uk] new computer

  • From: "Keith Barrett" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:49:49 -0000

Hi all,

As some will have noticed on previous threads, I have been getting lots
of help with setting up xp pro from my daughter.

I knew that I would be bribed and now it has happened, she wants her
own machine.  It is her birthday soon so perhaps I can sort something.

I am thinking of perhaps giving her this one and getting something new
for me so some questions.

What is considered a reasonable spec machine these days, running xp
pro?

Anyone know of any sites that are easy to navigate where I can get
specs and prices?

Also, this machine has a creative audagy sound card.  I have never
managed to use most of the facilities of this as screen readers do not
seem to work well when setting up sound font banks e.t.c.  Do any of the
cards out there come with accessible software?

I would prefer separate cards rather than onboard (I cannot afford the
bribes to get Charlotte helping with bios upgrades).
Can one get a mobo with no onboard stuff but with lots of slots?

Thanks

Keith

- -

Keith Barrett