[access-uk] Re: mp3 recorders

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:38:18 +0100

Hi Ray,

The Olympus machines are indeed stereo, and come with a stereo mic.  It is
not that good, but at least you can get one, and you can plug other stereo
mics into it and improve it.

All the best

Steve

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf
Of Joe Paton

>Hello Phil,

A friend has just bought an olympus dm50 I think the model number is.  He
was guided to this decision by a colleague of his in the states, who is
thrilled with his unit.  I reckon it would be a considerable amount less
expensive than the edirol r09, and should do what you want.  Obviously if
the highest fidelity is important to you, then the r09 is worth considering,
that is, if you can live with the noisy mic pre-amps in the unit.  I prefer
the r1, but let it go and replaced it with the r09 when the need became
urgent.  But I wish I could get an r1 instead.  although the internal mics
are a little enclosed in there recordings, the pre-amps are quieter, and my
comparrison recordings show that the r1 had a better low-end frequency
response which I would benefit from as I record lots of live rock and jazz
music on the fly, and can't e q the source with either of these recorders.

good luck

Joe