[access-uk] Re: linux for the blind

  • From: Isaac Porat <isaac@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:55:03 +0000

Hi Ari

An easy way to get started is to download the virtual version. Once you unzip it, you will find instructions basically, you need to install the VMware player which is a player (nothing to do with Vinux) which can play virtual machines). Once installed, you basically start the VMware player and open the image of Vinux and it is there installed already. If you had enough of it, you simply uninstall the player and remove the folders you unzipped that's all there is to it. It may sound complicated but it is not really.

Alternatively, you can if you want download the standard version instead burn it to a CD and then boot your CD; Vinux just starts to Speak. To do this you must make sure in the bios of your computer that it looks for the CD to boot before your hard drive.

With both methods above your Windows installation will not be affected in any shape or form.

If you get any problems, join the Vinux development mailing list and you will get excellent help.

Regards
Isaac

On 29/01/2010 18:30, ari wrote:
Ok Isaac. I just want to get started the easiest way first without the really steep curve just yet. I looked at the Vinux web site, and do you think the best way to get a feel of linux is to download, burn and boot the CD? I would have like to do the stick one, but it sounds quite a complicated process to somehow get Vinux onto the stick and make the stick act as a hard drive.
Ari