[access-uk] Re: jaws saying star

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:50:40 -0000

Hi Andy,

Can you double check to see if it's a Packard Bell 1801 or
actually a Media Centre?

Is it running XP Home, Professional or XP Media Edition?  To
find out, right click on My Computer, and select Properties.
If it turns out to be an XP Media edition, I think you may
need to contact S&S for further advice.

If it's XP Home or Professional, go to Control Panel,
Display, Settings Tab, Advanced button, and see what is says
for Adapter.

George.

if I
> could find any details regarding my graphics card but
could
> not find anything.  Can you tell me where to look and I'll

> try and check it out.
>
> Not too happy with this new computer George.  It's a
Packard
> Bell Media 1 and it cost me Â999 from PC World.  I got it
> because my old Packard Bell caused no problems.  Perhaps I

> should have got the Dell right enough.  I'm having
problems
> witth jaws and with Nero and I'm on my second keyboard.
In
> addition, the computer keeps crashing and I must have sent

> about 50 reports back to Microsoft.  I'm loathed to take
it
> back to PC World for all they will do is Restore it.
>
> Best wishes.
> Andy

not
> > have the latest video drivers installed.  Do you now
what
> > video card it has?
> >
> > George.

and
> > got no response.
> >
> > A few days ago I wrote seeking advice about a problem I
was
> > having with my version of JAWS, which is 4.2.
Everything
> > works as expected until I open a new message in Outlook
> > Express and tab down to the main body of the message.
> > Instead of JAWS key echoing every keystroke, it is
saying
> > the word "star" on everything I type.
> >
> > I have contacted Sight and Sound and have sent them a
cheque
> > to the value of Â300, to upgrade from 4.02 to version 6,
but
> > I'm not convinced that this will resolve my problem.
> >
> > I am using xp home edition and I have my display
settings
> > set to high contrast number 2.  - I have some limited
> > peripheral vision and the high contrast number 2 has
worked
> > well in the past.
> >
> > While arrowing through my messages in Outlook Express,
JAWS
> > announces all the messages as you'd expect.  However,
when I
> > press the Enter Key on a message to read it, JAWS
announces
> > "Forms Mode Off" just before going into the main section
of
> > the message.  JAWS will continue to read the message as
> > normal, but If I wish to sent a reply to that message or
> > send a new message, JAWS simply key echoes the word Star
on
> > every keystroke.
> >
> > I'm convinced that the cause of this problem lies within
my
> > display settings as I've tried JAWS 4.5 and experienced
the
> > same difficulty.
> >
> > The only other difference between this and my old
computer
> > is that this new one has a flat screen.
> >
> > Any advice would be very welcomed.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Andy.
> >
> > ** To leave the list, send a message to:-
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send a
> > message, to
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
faq

> > This Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee
Groupshield.