[access-uk] invalid certificates and tesco

  • From: "Yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:07:33 +0100

Hi all, I've used tesco a great deal and am therefore familiar with making payments on their website. Up till today I haven't had a problem. I use my HSBC maestro card. Today after hitting the make payment button I was transfered to the varified by visa page. When I hit enter on the continue button to proceed to the stage of putting in my security an internet explorer error page came up saying that the security certificate was invalid and warning me that it could be as a result of a fraudulent attempt to get my card details. This somewhat unnerved me so I closed the window and started again. Went through the whole process just to get the same message. I then rang Tesco who suggested deleting cookies and history and restarting my computer. No difference, they then suggested rebooting the router, which I also did, again no difference.

A friend of mine using her computer put in my details and had the same problem, but was perfectly fine with her own details, incidentally from a different bank.

I'm going to try ringing Tesco back, but I was wandering if anyone had experienced this before, also how seriously should I take IE's security certificate warning.

I also rang HSBC and they told me that there was a problem with the varified by Visa page but that shouldn't be affecting me as maestro isn't varified by Visa but by mastercard.

Yusuf