[access-uk] Re: internet radios

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:00:14 -0000

Hi Ray.

RNIB are currently trialling the Solutions Radio and we have not been asked
to sign any kind of non-disclosure agreement so I assume we are at liberty
to discuss the trial with anyone we want to.  The system is quite easy to
use and works reasonably well for distributing books, magazines etc.  The
menu system is quite easy to use in general though, if you choose to listen
to a book then go back to the menus you are in a list of titles and you
always start at the top of the list.  Daisy titles can be navigated though
you can only move forward section by section and it takes rather a long time
to move around in a publication as it is being streamed directly to you.  If
you choose to move forward by one section there is a few seconds delay
before your command is acted on.

TNAUK publications do not work very well at the moment.  TNAUK do not seem
to produce their audio publications in Daisy.  Each file is tone indexed
which is fine for using a tape recorder but really of no help what so ever
with a digital file.  Again, because live sstreams are used winding forward
through titles is slow.  I like the ability to listen to magazines and books
without having to turn on the computer and go to a web site but in general
navigation through titles is just too slow and I suspect that the only way
of getting around this is to download the file and then play it locally.
This feature is currently unavailable in the web box.

Currently there is a list of something over a dozen radio stations to choose
from and this is a tiny list.  A big list would need to be filterable by
genre or country.  Real Audio format is also not currently supported on the
Web Box so this does limit the stations that can be received.

Finally, the Web Box must be connected to the internet by a cable and the
unit is mains powered only so it is not portable.

Over all then the system is convenient as you don't need to have the PC
switched on but some changes have to be made if the system is to be really
used as the primary method of listening to books and magazines.

It should be noted that these are just my opinions and they do not in any
way reflect findings of the RNIB trial.

Regards

Graham
Graham Page