[access-uk] Re: interesting prog tonight

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 14:12:36 +0100

Hi.

In my limited experience of being filmed at school, too much of what goes on
is actually staged and not in the least bit real.

I remember at Worcester they wanted to film us going to chappel and we
walked to chapel right enough, about 20 times or more until they got the
filming just so.  When at RNIB I was asked to help film a documentary by the
link program I think it was on the ways in which blind people needed DLA.
It was quite fun, but it looked as though I was lost in the countryside
somewhere when in actual fact we did the filming on Hamsted heath.

In the same program I think it was, I had told the producer about a time
when I needed to fill in a form I was expecting in the mail and I asked
someone randomly on the street.  He liked this idea so we enacted the scene
on the program.

On another occasion I was involved in a program on channel 4 concerning the
usefulness of technological aids although the high price makes them
unaffordable to many.  Things such as the price of wheelchairs were
discussed and I was on there talking about scanners.

Again, the producer had written a letter about my sister which I had to scan
and read.  Great, but I don't have a sister.

the point here is that to some extent at least, the program makers have a
lot of say in how these documentaries turn out.

Places like RNC and RNIB new College Worcester and the like get funding on a
per student basis for sure so they are keen on programs that give them
national airing.  I think they accept a bit of falsehood or stretching of
the truth for the publicity they get.

On this subject, another great con of a program is the Anaca challenge.  I
don't know how you spell her name, sorry.

I know of a number of dodgy deals that happened in the making of that
program including one episode where someone was told they couldn't hire a
particular power tool by a local company who only had 1 of this tool and was
told it may be required by the film crew.  Does anyone who went to Worcester
remember that rediculous mobility maze that was built with the large chess
set in the middle?  As well as concerns from the P.E. teacher about possible
dammage to the sports field the maze was almost never used but it gave
publicity.

All i'm trying to say therefore is I take these programs with a large pinch
of salt.

Regards

Graham