[access-uk] Re: identifying foods

  • From: "Kulvinder Bhogal" <kbhogal1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:27:55 +0100

Just one question, how much?
Kulvinder Singh Bhogal
Messenger: Kulvinder@xxxxxxxx
Skypename: bobba2006
Mobile: +447792888797
----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:54 PM
Subject: [access-uk] Re: identifying foods

Christine,

As you know, I'm not Hannah <Smiles>

I'm jumping in here as I use the Penfriend pretty extensively and have had many discussions about it.

First, it's speech based, but you get loud speech so you may manage it OK. Also, it's the recording of your own voice, or someone else's, if you choose, that you'll be listening to, so this factor may help you to decide whether it would be OK for you to use!

It comes with a pack of labels and you affix these to whatever you want to identify. If you're kind of thrifty therefore, you want to make the best possible use of your labels. This means that I don't stick them directly onto anything that will get thrown away, if I can help it, because I want to re-use labels whenever possible. (They work out at about 3P each I think.)

Anyway, with a bit of help, or maybe even on your own, you can even cut the larger labels into two or four to save costs. If you do this, though, because the label is identified by the Penfriend and has a unique coding, all four of those labels will be the same. This means, every time you alter one of them, you'll alter four. This will be great if you usually keep four tins of something, but probably not so great if you pick up one of them, re-use and put, for example, marmalade onto that label. You'll find then that the other three you had for tuna will now say marmalade! <Smiles> This method though does have its uses, as I hope I've shown.

The other thing that I do is to put my labels onto thick, durable card, punch holes and affix these to an item by means of an elastic band. This means you have them on jars in the fridge, or wheverever, tins if you want and even items in the freezer which are flat boxes or bags.

You can say whatever you want on a label, so (as a joke, when I was getting tired one day) I called marmalade "Paddington and I have been known to sing a little too"! You can also label books, CD's, letters and just about anything onto which you can affix a label.

I did try out a method of putting labels onto small magnets purchased from Staples, but I found these got knocked off tins quite easily and it was no good if you wanted to stack tins in a cupboard to save room. I also bought some key fobs, recommended by another user, but again, over all I find the card method works best for me. You can, though, use a label placed inside a tiny bag and affix this to something, so that the label is kept perfectly clean, if this is what you want; since the Penfriend reads through clear plastic bags.

There is something like 70 hours worth of recording on each pen so, technically, you could get someone to read a book for you if you liked. The only thing about this is that it's very basic recording. There's no facility to pause whilst reading; you'd simply have to go back and listen again! This is why I have sometimes taken out my phone (on which I keep a label) with some items for shopping, but not too many, or you're listening for too long and having to listen over and over again.

The pen has a lovely neck cord, so you can carry it around the house with you. There are four buttons in all, so not much to get used to! You do need it with you both to read and record labels, so would need to take it with you if you carried a shopping list this way.

You can easily enough save all your recordings to computer, just in case the batteries die in your Penfriend. I've had my batteries for months and they still haven't gone, as yet, and I haven't lost any data recorded.

If you use up all labels supplied, you can purchase another pack or two from the RNIB, but you must ensure you do not purchase the pack with the original name, since these labels will be identical to the ones you first used ... and you know tthat doesn't work ... <Smiles>

All in all, though, it's a good and easy piece of kit and I wouldn't be without mine.

If you have any further questions then please ask and I'll do my best to explain some more.

I hope this is helpful.

--
Carol
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James,
Lyn, Nash&  Twinny Sent: 20 June 2010 18:15
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are talking bar code scanners I think, but I'm
not sure where you'd get them from and they are not
designed to do what you want. The only product i can
think of is developed by an Italian company, but as
usual it is incredibly overpriced. I'll have to take
a look around to try and find the link for you.
Although I think Steve Nut may
sell it.

TC
James, Lyn, Nash&  Twinny
On 20 Jun 2010, at 18:10, william lomas wrote:

Hi all,

Has anyone developed a product that we can run over
a box of food for
example and hear what it is, and how long to cook it
i.e., the
instructions?
I can use the penfriend but yet again, need sighted
help to actually know
what I am about to cook in the future
I"d have though by now a device to read just I don't
know, shepherds pie
oven cook x degrees for 30 minutes for example, would
have been invented for us blind folks by cobolt or a
similar company

** To leave the list, click on the
immediately-following link:- **
** For other list commands such as vacation mode,
click on the ** immediately-following link:-
**
[mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the
Subject:- faq

** To leave the list, click on the
immediately-following link:- **
** For other list commands such as vacation mode,
click on the ** immediately-following link:-
**
[mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to
faq
** To leave the list, click on the
immediately-following link:- **
** For other list commands such as vacation mode,
click on the ** immediately-following link:-
**
[mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to
faq

** To leave the list, click on the
immediately-following link:- **
** For other list commands such as vacation mode,
click on the ** immediately-following link:-
faq

** To leave the list, click on the
immediately-following link:- **
on the ** immediately-following link:-