[access-uk] Re: help with outlook express

  • From: "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:39:50 -0000

Hi Gerald.

Here's a few notes I've dug out on creating message rules that will
hopefully get you started.  If you have any specific issues when creating
your rules come back to the list.
Using Message Rules to Sort Messages

Sorting messages with message rules is a way of filtering

messages you receive into the folders you would like them in

according to certain predefined criteria instead of them always

all going into your Inbox. For instance, you could specify that

all messages from a given person, e-mail list or newsgroup are

automatically deposited in a certain folder, or you could have

particular messages automatically forwarded to on of your Address

Book contacts, or you can arrange for certain messages to be

automatically deleted as soon as they hit your Inbox. You can

even ensure that persons who use the same e-mail account have

their messages downloaded to their own personal folders. These

rules can be applied to both e-mail and newsgroup messages.

for how to achieve this, consider the below e-mail example:

1. Press ALT t (for Tools) and then R (for Message Rules).

2. You can ARROW through choices of "Mail", "News" and "Block

Senders List". So press ENTER on "Mail".

3. A dialogue box opens for you to create a new mail rule. You

will fall in the "Criteria" list which you can ARROW down to

select the conditions you wish the incoming messages to match,

e.g. "Where the From Line Contains People", "Where the Message

Has an Attachment", etc. This is what you do when you create your

first message rule; for subsequent rules you will have to TAB to

"New" and press ENTER on that first. Note also that when you

already have at least one rule defined, you can TAB through

buttons to modify one of the rules, to copy it elsewhere and to

remove any of the rules.

4. For this example (which uses a real life e-mail list and will

work for you if you are subscribed to the Access-UK list), leave

the focus on "Where the Subject Line Contains Specific Words" and

press the SPACEBAR to select it. You could also press SPACEBAR

on any number of the other eleven conditions in this list if you

wanted to make the message rule tighter and even more specific,

e.g. you could elect only to filter messages with a particular

word in the "From:" line of your e-mails which also have an

attachment with them.

5. Now TAB to the "Actions" list and select the "Move it to the

Specified Folder" option by pressing the SPACEBAR on it.

6. TAB on once to the "Rule Description" area and ARROW down to

"Move it to the Specified Folder" and press ENTER. It is at this

point that your screenreader may not tell you exactly what is

going on, so check things in mavigation/mouse mode if you are

unsure.

7. The Outlook Express folders list will open and you can ARROW

to "Local Folders" and then TAB to "New Folder" and press ENTER.

8. You will be asked for a "Folder Name" for the Access-uk" e-

mails to go into, so make one up which is meaningful to you, e.g.

type in "Access UK", TAB to "OK" and press ENTER. You can now

ARROW up to the "Access UK" new sub-folder and leave focus on

this. Then TAB to "OK" and press ENTER.

9. You will return to the "Rule Description" area and should be

able to again ARROW to "Where the Subject Line Contains Specific

Words" and press ENTER to open up an editfield. Then type the

word or words in you want monitored which appear in the subject

line of specific e-mails, e.g. "Access-UK" (no quotes) and TAB

to "Add" and press ENTER. Then TAB to "OK" and press ENTER. The

reason you may want to specify "Access-UK" is because this always

appears in the subject line of e-mails sent from the Access UK

mailing list.

10. Now ARROW to "Move it to the Specified (access-uk) Folder"

and then TAB to "OK" and press ENTER to be able to place focus

on the newly created sub-folder you want to have Outlook Express

place these messages in. Focus is likely to already be on this

sub-folder.

11. Now TAB to the "Name of the Rule" area and note that the new

rule you have just created will be given a name like "New Mail

Rule Number 1". You are in an editfield here and can either

accept this name or type another in of your own preference, so

type in a meaningful rule name of your own.

12. Lastly, TAB to "OK" and press ENTER to finish. You return to

the "Mail Rules" property sheet and should then TAB to "OK" and

press ENTER to complete the procedure.

13. Should you wish to either modify a rule or delete it you can

do this by pressing ALT T, then R, followed by TABBING to the

"Rules List" and placing focus on the rule you wish to modify or

delete, then TAB to either "Modify" or "Remove" and press ENTER.

Note: Message rules are not the easiest environment to work in,

so if you fail to select/highlight any necessary options or do

not complete the appropriate editfields as outlined above,

Outlook Express will advise you of this and of what to do, so you

can SHIFT TAB backwards and correct your mistakes or omissions.

Kevin
E-mail: kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx