[access-uk] Re: guide screen reader:

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:34:56 +0100

Jim, I'll make a few comments on Guide, although I've not tried it, but I
saw it a couple of years back at Sight Village.

Its really a misnomer to refer to Guide as a 'screen reader' in my view as
really it is more accurately described as a suite of self-voicing
applications.  From memory I recall it has a basic word processor, a diary,
phone book and a few other applications.  This is nicely integrated in that
you can make phone calls from your computer I .  with other apps such such
as scanning, and being able to make phone calls directly from the PC.  It
uses nice natural sounding speech and there's magnification in-built too.  I
believe it has some internet functionality but I don't think its too
impressive compared to screen-=readers proper.

To seasoned computer users this doesn't sound such a big deal, I know.
Guide though is aimed at those who want their computer use kept simple, and
Guide effectively puts them in a safe walled garden away from the nasty
complexity of Windows.  (You cannot alt-tab  out of Guide once its launched;
rather you get out via a menu item I believe.  So, no risk of straying into
that big bad world of Windows!

In fairness its aimed at those who are quite hostile to computers and their
ways, or else want a very simple and straightforward environment.  A back
issue of IN Touch has Sue Arnold, a journo, singing its praises, and once
you get accustomed to her irritating voice I suppose she puts the case for
Guide as well as anyone can.  Parts of RNIB and the VI computer
establishment seem to have decided its the way to go for those masses who
don't want to be technically challenged.

Leon Gilbert of TAFN did a short review  of Guide and thought it too simple
to be of great value.

I believe you have to order an evaluation CD from Software Express who write
Guide .  Take a look at:

http://www.softwareexpress.co.uk/Default.asp?t=n&P=GBP

Hope that's of a little help.
From Ray