[access-uk] Re: google mail

Hi,

Assuming you're wanting to use pop (when searching for the
instructions I just saw something I haven't seen before about now
being able to use imap with googlemail), here are the instructions,
copied and pasted from the googlemail help.  Let us know if you have
any problems.

First you need to enable pop from your google mail account on the web.

You can retrieve your Gmail messages with a client or device that
supports POP, like Microsoft Outlook or Netscape Mail.

To enable POP in Gmail:

Sign in to Gmail.
Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

Select Enable POP for all mail or Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.
Choose the action you'd like your Gmail messages to take after they
are accessed with POP.
Configure your POP client* and click Save Changes.

Then you need to configure Outlook Express:

To set up your Outlook Express client to work with Gmail:

Enable POP in Gmail. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're done.
Open Outlook or Outlook Express.
Click the Tools menu, and select Accounts...
Click Add, and then click Mail...
Enter your name in the Display name: field, and click Next.
Enter your full Gmail email address (username@xxxxxxxxx) in the Email
address: field, and click Next.
Enter pop.gmail.com in the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server:
field. Enter smtp.gmail.com in the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: field.
Click Next.
Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') in the Account
name: field. Enter your Gmail password in the Password: field, and
click Next.
Click Finish.
Highlight pop.gmail.com under Account, and click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Fill in the following information:*
Check the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
under Outgoing Mail (SMTP).
Enter 465 in the Outgoing mail (SMTP): field.
Under Outgoing Mail (SMTP), check the box next to This server requires
a secure connection (SSL).
Under Incoming mail (POP3), check the box next to This server requires
a secure connection (SSL). The port will change to 995.
*The order of Outgoing and Incoming mail server fields varies by
version. Make sure you enter the correct information in each field.

Return to the Servers tab, and check the box next to My server
requires authentication.
Click OK.
Congratulations! You're done configuring your client to send and
retrieve Gmail messages.

Catherine