[access-uk] Re: first day at work placement

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:14:04 +0100

Justin,

That is really a sensible project to give a VI person, poster designing.
At least when I did work placement at Worcestershire, I was given
networking stuff to do (a lot more than I actually get at my paid job).
A couple of points:

1.  If doing poster design etc, you really could do with a bigger
monitor, though that much is obvious.  When I was at Worcestershire,
they gave me a 21 CRT monitor, which I never really used.  Bet you could
do with that eh?  I now have a 17 inch flat pannel monitor, again not
100% useful, but this is the first time I have seen someone provided
with such a small screen.

2.  There is a definate issue re VI people turning up to a computer, and
trying to work out what another person has done with the sound settings.
This made our access tech machines unusable without some sight at first
at uni, and I suspect this will be an issue for a long time to come.
The issue is there are so many ways of disabling/shutting up the sound
card, especially when at uni you have to plug in the headphones in
specific ports due to security cabinets surrounding the computer case,
and the volume controls for those ports (on the monitors) being
controled by an on-screen display on the monitor!

Andrew.
** vacation ## d