[access-uk] Re: fat32 or ntfs

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:28:18 +0100

Hi,

This is a weird one since I have many drives on different file systems
all over the place and have never had a problem.  NTFS is slightly more
tricky to recover from on a disk crash, especially on a portible drive,
whereas I want my primary internal disks to be running with NTFS.  There
is also not much advantage in NTFS for smaller drives, especially the
flash media - FAT32 starts becoming really inefficient over 10GB.  I
also do repairs on older machines running Windows 98, and (shudder) even
Windows 95, Windows 98 can readFAT32 but not NTFS.

I will look into this a bit as I want to see if there is any opinion on
it, and Maxtor's reasoning behind the statement made in the user guide.

Thanks.
Andrew.