[access-uk] Re: fat32 or ntfs

  • From: "Peter Logue" <peterlogue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:43:01 -0500

I only know this FAT32 versus NTFS issue because I went through it.
Christmas I got a 200 GB portable hard drive from Maxster. Last week I
started getting trouble accessing certain folders on the portable Maxster
drive. I took it into a computer store, thinking it was faulty. The next day
the guy phoned me. He said he noticed that my portable was FAT32 and my
laptop was NTFS. He said he placed a call to Maxster and Maxster told him
that a FAT32 portable hard drive, plugged into an NTFS system can, after a
while, corrupt files on the portable drive. I lost a great deal, but it
could have been worse.
After getting someone to check for me, page one of the booklet that came
with the Maxster advises formatting to NTFS if you are using it with an NTFS
machine.
I've always been one to just dive in, so I paid for not checking the
booklet.

Peter, laughing like bart.