[access-uk] Re: fat32 or ntfs

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:51:35 +0100

Hi Douglas,

OEMs tend to give customers the choice of either FAT32 or NTFS because
they format the drive as FAT32, if the customer wants NTFS they can
convert it to NTFS using the conversion tools available with Windows (a
shortcut is usually provided somewhere on the desktop to do this so
people know its running a non-NTFS filesystem).  Interesting though with
the second partition - what make is that laptop?  This was the thing
though - I have seen plenty of times where multiple file systems are
used, for example in a duel boot system whereby some partitions are
FAT32 so older operating systems can read them whilst Windows XP can
also read them - never have I seen disk curruption due to different
systems on the drive.

I still hold by my NTFS on internal drives and FAT32 on portible drives
unless the portible drive is very large or it has been pre-formatted to
NTFS and you know you only want to use it on XP based systems or systems
running Windows 2000.

Thanks.
Andrew.