[access-uk] Re: digital radio

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:36:07 -0000

Jackie, its often been a point of some bemusement that here in the
Midlands we get local DAB stuff - London, for example - that has no
obvious business being on our multiplexes.  On the face of it this
does seem to be waistful and you do tend to wonder if some space could
be freed up by removing stuff that shouldn't be there.  It could be
I'm missing something here though, as for example, I don't know
whether here in the UK we go in for sycronizing DAB multiplexes on a
single frequency.

still, from what I've been reading in a Wiki about DAB our present DAB
receivers are going to become obsolete, eventually.  A new standard is
very much on the way, which will incorporate such things as DMB
(Digital Multi-media Broadcasting) and AAC+  (A A C Plus) to allow
more stations and at higher quality.  So that's three or four DAB
receivers that'll have to be slung out in my case.

I'll end with an extract from the Wiki at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting

Very technical but interesting, and I've no idea how it'll all pan out
in the end - if anyone has any idea!  For instance, one wonders about
the role of satalites in DAB, and the idea that's been floated of
Baloons or lower level stationary platforms hovering in the
stratosphere.  Suppose I'll still be alive when it happens.

Wiki extract:

As DAB+ is not backwards-compatible ordinary DAB receivers cannot
receive DAB+ broadcasts,
however DAB receivers that will be able to receive the new DAB+
standard via a
firmware upgrade   went on sale in July 2007. If a receiver is
DAB+-upgradeable there will be a sign on the product itself or in the
literature for the product, but the vast majority
of receivers on sale don't support DAB+ yet.

DAB+ broadcasts have already launched in Italy, and several other
countries are also
expected to launch DAB+ broadcasts over the next few years, such as
Switzerland in
2008, Malta in 2008, Australia on 1st January 2009, Germany in 2009.
When DAB+ stations
launch in the UK, Norway and Denmark, they will transmit alongside
existing DAB stations
that use the old MPEG-1 Audio Layer II  audio format, and most
existing DAB stations are expected to continue broadcasting until the
vast majority of receivers support DAB+ , at which point stations
using the old DAB format will be switched off.

Cheers,

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx