[access-uk] computer acting oddly

  • From: "Shea Anker" <svanker@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <eyeliner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:47:24 -0700

Hi,
I'm wondering if someone might be able to suggest something.

Since mid August or there abouts, I've been having minor problems with my Del
laptop. I have windows XP home 2003 and am using Jaws 10. In the beginning of
August I started using an external drive, and I also started using MS Outlook
2003 instead of Outlook express.

I started having problems with outlook about two weeks after setting it up.
When I would first boot up or reboot the computer, everything was fine. But as
soon as it was allowed to go into screen saver mode, then outlook would stop
working properly. I could not read messages and the program wouldn't respond to
any commands. I couldn't even export my messages. It wouldn't tell me the
programs so I could select one. When I tried to to a repair, I found out that
there were installation files missing. I was finally able to import my messages
into outlook express.

Outlook express is working better than outlook, but when the computer has been
allowed to go into screen saver mode, Jaws stops announcing certain things. It
won't work in spell checker mode, when I have open messages, and press the
delete key, Jaws won't automatically read the messages. It's really hard to put
into words, but it just isn't working properly once it has been on for a while.
Do you think I should do a system restore. I updated Jaws and tried running a
repair and everything seems fine. I've also done a scan disk for errors and
repair, and again, everything seems fine. Really not sure what is going on.
Have thought about doing a complete reformatting of my hard drive, but would
rather not do something that drastic.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Very sorry for such a long message,
but thought it would be best to put down all the factors that could be the
reason for the problems I'm having.

Shea