[access-uk] Re: chip and pin, cash machines and the likeRe: Re: COUNCIL POLICY TO WAIVE SIGNATURE WHEN VOTING BY POST

  • From: "Emma Wright" <emmajane9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:38:30 +0000

Graham,

I just reread your post and realised I didn't answer the question
about what I do instead of chip and pin.  My bank have arranged for me
to have two cards for each account - one with a pin number for the
cashpoint, and one without for using in shops.  It is called a chip
and signature card and it tells the machine that you need to sign.  It
always surprises assistants when I use it and they tend to think the
machine is broken until I explain!  I had one shop tell they couldn't
accept a signature, but I explained my situation to the manager (after
having to tell him I can't show him a driving licence as proof of ID
they don't let blind people drive...) and he let me have my goods.  I
avoid that shop now though!

On 14/02/07, Emma Wright <emmajane9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> hard enough, or at all.  4) Some of the machines have buttons which
> are made of latex, which I am allergic to and avoid at all costs!  The
> former three could have been addressed by making machines universally
> similar (i.e. the card always goes in the bottom of the machine with
> the chip - which you can feel - towards you and facing up), having the
> software universal so you always get asked the same questions (or of
> course it could speak what it wants you to enter but that isn't ever
> going to happen) and having the buttons beep when you press them.
> It's a shame it didn't happen.
>
> I can't use the paying in machine in my local branch either as the
> numbers are a flat panel with pictures rather than being individually
> raised buttons.  Again, poor design.
>
> It doesn't help that I don't have great feeling in my fingers and
> often can't feel the raised dot of the 5.
>
> See I'm stuffed!
>
> Emma
>
> On 14/02/07, Graham Page <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi emma.
> >
> > Could I ask why you can't use chip and pin?  Is it due to physical reas=
ons
> > such as poor feeling in your hands or no hands at all or is it just a c=
ase
> > of never having been shown?
> >
> > I asked this because I met a visually impaired person through work rece=
ntly
> > who could not use chip an pin technology for no good reason than not be=
ing
> > shown.
> >
> > To see what would happen, I tried an experiment.  I had to pay money in=
> > the natwest recently by cheque and while doing this I asked the assista=
nt
> > about this and was told that you just used the number pad though all ar=
> > slightly different.  This was probably the assistant just trying to use=
 her
> > own initiative.  From my experience she is partly right though buttons =
are
> > generally in the same places.  I find that enter is usually bottom righ=
t and
> > there is generally a dot or feelable marker on 5.
> >
> > If for whatever reason you cannot physically use your hands to access t=
he
> > buttons, is there allowance made in shops for you to sign instead?
> >
> > Using chip and pin or using your local cash point machine independently=
 is
> > something rehab officers could help all of us to do, but I suppose they=
 are
> > often stretched and involved with giving people the confidence to perfo=
rm
> > more basic tasks such as preparing food to eat etc, which are all
> > particularly important to people who are losing or have just lost their
> > sight. other things tend to get just left by the wayside because of lac=

BY
> > POST
> >

> > I agree with that, I Have to sign my back card so why not a form for
> > the council? However, I do worry as I know my signature varies a lot
> > and its never been queried, even though I can't use chip and pin.  I
> > guess they see the white stick and realise I might have trouble - I
> > just hope that if my card gets stolen it isn't by someone else who
> > looks similarly vulnerable!
> >
> > Emma
> >
> > On 14/02/07, Carol Pearson <carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > We've recently completed forms, together with our signatures, as our
> > > Council
> > > wished to introduce new regulations regarding postal voting.  They st=
ate
> > > that they wished to know if our signature differed each time and that=
, if
> > > so, an exemption from signing may be in order.
> > >
> > > After somewhat of an uphill route (with all the running on our part),=
 we
> > > have established that they have looked at our signatures and decided =
> > > send
> > > us Waiver Forms.
> > >
> > > I am really just seeking views of others on list as to whether you fe=
el
> > > it's
> > > best to have your own signature (which friends are sure cannot be
> > > reproduced) or to have such a "waiver" so that no signature is requir=
ed.

> > > I rather feel, after all, that if banks accept our signatures and don=
't
> > > make
> > > a fuss, the Council should do likewise.
> > >
> > > Any comments are welcome - on or off list.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Carol
> > > carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >

> > > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
> > > ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
> > > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > ** and in the Subject line type
> > > ** unsubscribe
> > > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
> [...]

--=20