[access-uk] Re: chip and pin, cash machines and the likeRe: Re: COUNCIL POLICY TO WAIVE SIGNATURE WHEN VOTING BY POST

  • From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:52:30 -0000

I didn't know that a store isn't supposed to handle my card so every store
that I use my card in, I have handed my card over for the staff to put in
the machine.  Now that I think about it, if my card was cloned, the bank
might be able to claim that I was to blame for handing my card over.  I
think I'll check up on this the next time I go to my bank.

Barry

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Graham Page

I have to say I have never been given this advice about cards.  I have just
handed the card over and if necessary I suppose appeared forceful enough to
make them take it.

The assistant could guide you to the slot to put your card in I suppose.  It
all depends on how adaptable and resourceful the assistant is and what if
any training and general advice has been given.

Many people, irrespective of the amount of sight they have have just not
been shown the technology so the assistant needs to know how to describe the
usage of the machine for a start.

If you risk dying though if you touch latex then I suppose that remains the
more fundamental issue.  I have not heard of this being an issue and blind
people are often asked about how things like keypads or equipment could be
made better.  I think that people are not consulted anywhere near as often
as they should be but the question does arise and it is important to take
into account issues other people may have when trying to use good design
practice.

Cheers

Graham