[access-uk] Re: chip and pin, cash machines and the likeRe: Re: COUNCIL POLICY TO WAIVE SIGNATURE WHEN VOTING BY POST

Graham,

I can use my local cash machine as my fianc=E9 has shown me how to do
it, however, I having tried it I have four problems with chip and pin.
 1) Each machine is different and it is very hard to work out where to
put the card e.g top, bottom, side, which way around. ) Each machine
goes through a different order of what you need to do, some you need
to press enter to confirm an amount, then enter your pin, some you
enter your pin only.  And you often have to wait while it is
processing without knowing when the machine is ready for you to press
the next button. 3) The buttons do not have any audio feedback (unlike
my local cashpoint) so you can't be sure if they have been pressed
hard enough, or at all.  4) Some of the machines have buttons which
are made of latex, which I am allergic to and avoid at all costs!  The
former three could have been addressed by making machines universally
similar (i.e. the card always goes in the bottom of the machine with
the chip - which you can feel - towards you and facing up), having the
software universal so you always get asked the same questions (or of
course it could speak what it wants you to enter but that isn't ever
going to happen) and having the buttons beep when you press them.
It's a shame it didn't happen.

I can't use the paying in machine in my local branch either as the
numbers are a flat panel with pictures rather than being individually
raised buttons.  Again, poor design.

It doesn't help that I don't have great feeling in my fingers and
often can't feel the raised dot of the 5.

See I'm stuffed!

Emma

On 14/02/07, Graham Page <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi emma.
>
> Could I ask why you can't use chip and pin?  Is it due to physical reason=
> such as poor feeling in your hands or no hands at all or is it just a cas=
> of never having been shown?
>
> I asked this because I met a visually impaired person through work recent=
ly
> who could not use chip an pin technology for no good reason than not bein=
> shown.
>
> To see what would happen, I tried an experiment.  I had to pay money into
> the natwest recently by cheque and while doing this I asked the assistant
> about this and was told that you just used the number pad though all are
> slightly different.  This was probably the assistant just trying to use h=
er
> own initiative.  From my experience she is partly right though buttons ar=
> generally in the same places.  I find that enter is usually bottom right =
and
> there is generally a dot or feelable marker on 5.
>
> If for whatever reason you cannot physically use your hands to access the
> buttons, is there allowance made in shops for you to sign instead?
>
> Using chip and pin or using your local cash point machine independently i=
> something rehab officers could help all of us to do, but I suppose they a=
re
> often stretched and involved with giving people the confidence to perform
> more basic tasks such as preparing food to eat etc, which are all
> particularly important to people who are losing or have just lost their
> sight. other things tend to get just left by the wayside because of lack =
of
> time and personell I suppose.
>
> Regards
>
> Graham