[access-uk] chip and pin, cash machines and the likeRe: Re: COUNCIL POLICY TO WAIVE SIGNATURE WHEN VOTING BY POST

Hi emma.

Could I ask why you can't use chip and pin?  Is it due to physical reasons
such as poor feeling in your hands or no hands at all or is it just a case
of never having been shown?

I asked this because I met a visually impaired person through work recently
who could not use chip an pin technology for no good reason than not being
shown.

To see what would happen, I tried an experiment.  I had to pay money into
the natwest recently by cheque and while doing this I asked the assistant
about this and was told that you just used the number pad though all are
slightly different.  This was probably the assistant just trying to use her
own initiative.  From my experience she is partly right though buttons are
generally in the same places.  I find that enter is usually bottom right and
there is generally a dot or feelable marker on 5.

If for whatever reason you cannot physically use your hands to access the
buttons, is there allowance made in shops for you to sign instead?

Using chip and pin or using your local cash point machine independently is
something rehab officers could help all of us to do, but I suppose they are
often stretched and involved with giving people the confidence to perform
more basic tasks such as preparing food to eat etc, which are all
particularly important to people who are losing or have just lost their
sight. other things tend to get just left by the wayside because of lack of
time and personell I suppose.

Regards

Graham