[access-uk] Re: chat rooms in the net

  • From: Chris & Doris <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 05:45:14 -0500

There are jaws scripts for mirc that will read incoming chat automatically if jaws is focused on the irc channel window. the scripts for mirc can be gotten in the program section on

www.jfwlite.com

hth

Doris

At 10:36 AM 1/28/2009 +0000, you wrote:
Derek:
Chat rooms can be quite a few different things, they can be on a website or can use dedicated applications such as Mirc. If we're talking about those that aren't on the web, and use a common protocol such is IRC (internet relay chat) then ys they should be accessible to a screenreader user providing you take the time to set up a client application, such as Mirc, it does take time to get used to though and you'd do well to start off in quieter rooms were the conversation doesn't move so quickly as each time someone adds a comments the text moves up a line and can easily put you and your screenreader out of step. In a busy room a 2 or 3 line comments can't easily have scrolled off the top of the screen before you've had chance to read all of it, and you do need to switch between pc and jaws cursors a lot, jaws cursor to read messages, pc cursor to type and interact with the application. You can get add-ons that read out new messages automaticly but again they don't tend to kee
 p up with fast moving conversation.

Chat rooms based on websites tend to make heavy use of java script to keep the screen refreshing so at best you'll need to constantly refresh the screenreader to see latest comments, also the text entry field often isn't fisible to a screenreader, jaws won't recognise it as a form field so you won't easily be able to find it and if and when you do you'll neeed to switch of the virtual cursor in order to be able to enter text. So generally, no I wouldn't normally expect a web based chat room to be screenreader accessible.

Adrian Higginbotham,
Manager, Leading edge research
Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Becta switchboard 02476-416994
Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/
BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ