[access-uk] Re: careful regarding a phone call i just received

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:46:54 +0000

We had this back last August on this list too :)

I've been tracking a scam on my blog for over 18 months, during which
time I've seen the hits rise from 20 a day to over 800 a day today,
with over 1,400 comments.
The blog got a mention in The Guardian and some local papers etc, and
I thought seeing as you lot are quite tech savvy, you might be
interested to beware of the scam.

Here's the details:
http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/supportonclick-systemrecure-scam

Spread the word. Stay safe, and never trust strongly-accented Indians
on crackly lines from "Windows Support" calling themselves Steve
Smith!

Apologies, the site isn't very VI friendly, but for those not of a
nervous disposition, here's a little montage of a phone call I
recorded myself recently:
http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/digitaltoastFake_Tech_vs_Herb_Alpert.mp3

And here is a typical response you get if you let them know they are
scamming or refuse - this contains swearing, you have been warned!
http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/logmein123_thewatchmaker.mp3