[access-uk] career sites or mailing lists for blind people?

  • From: Ari Damoulakis <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 00:11:24 +0200

Hi all
You can email me off list for this, it is definitely off topic here,
but I don't know where else to ask.
 Apart from the nfb American ones, are there any good books, sites or
mailing lists which discuss what blind people study, what careers and
jobs totally blind people are doing and how they do their jobs? Career
guidance for blind people? Even if you have had your own experiences,
I'd please like to know what you studied and how it is for you in a
day-to-day job. I am basically looking for ideas, because I need to
learn some other skill or study something else because of the job
market. I have done Politics and IR, and I wanted to do a course in
Publishing Studies but the staff at the uni are still looking whether
it can be modified for me because of the parts on book and cover
design and layout.  My parents want me to do law (it is very popular
here for blind people to do that), but I don't want that, so I'm
looking what other people have studied, or what other blind people are
doing. Oh, also not piano tuning or music, I am not really musical.
 It is not that I am against the American organisations that I'm
asking for other sites, it is just that, first, America has a lot more
resources compared to my country, so some of the ideas are not really
possible here. I've also found out that when they mean blind and you
do some further research into how the blind person actually does
whatever job, you find out that actually the person had quite a lot of
site, but for some reason they use blind as classifying everything.
Plus, maybe it is just me who doesn't understand the logic, but some
of the stuff are a bit wacky, like why would a totally blind person
choose to study medicine? The site does not explain, it just explains
that the student graduated.
Thanks very much
Ari