[access-uk] access-uk] Re: National Library: Audio books in synthetic speech trial

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:58:41 +0100

Hi Steve and others here on this thread.

I certainly cannot criticise NLB for exploring the feasibility of providing
books using TTS.  I have, in an earlier post, canvased the possibility of books
being released in a more secure text format so that anyone satisfied with
speech synthesis for reading can use that, otherwise refreshable Braille could
be an alternative for those who can read it.  That brings with it the question
of affordability of Braille displays and whether some method of providing these
on lease-lend could be devised.  That way users of speech or Braille could be
provided for.

What i have in mind for 'secured text' is a system, similar to BookShare, where
text files of books could be indelibly 'watermarked' and or licenced to users
who would obviously be prhibited by technoloogical means, as well as legal,
from redistributing a book.

So, I could use a refreshable Braille display for reading, while others could
use TTS via Mp3, or their own device, to read books.  Complicated, yes.  It
does have the advantage though of satisifying everyone's needs and preferences.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx