To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 9:34 PM
Subject: [access-uk] Re: accessible internet service providers

Alex, an interesting concept, but not RNIB please (groan). Booze-ups and breweries come to mind here (smile).

It is certainly true in my experience that the ISPs don't have a clue when it comes to screen readers. I think, in fairness, that Sky are very patient, but I suppose they can afford to be when the customer is ringing an 08705 number for the privilege. I found Telewest the worst because they kept asking questions about their modem, despite our telling them that we couldn't see it and had no sighted assistance in the house at the time of calling. They were quite rude on occasions, saying: "Well if you don't tell us how many lights are working on the modem, we can't help you or take it any further". Charming.

Jackie
----- Original Message ----- From: <alex.thynne@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 9:14 PM
Subject: [access-uk] accessible internet service providers

Hi all

I'm in a discussion on skype with a couple of my friends, and we were
talking about the lack of knowledge of people in help desks, concerning how to help someone using a screenreader perform tasks on a part of a provider's broadband site. They are frustrated because of the lack of accessibility in
choosing or managing their various broadband features.

I wonder therefore, why can't some of the technology companies providing
access equipment, or possibly RNIB and any others who would be interested,
in setting up a truly accessible broadband provider.  I imagine that this
would probably involve using someone's network, to do this, and any profits
could be ploughed back into accessible technology products or services.

I wonder whether anyone has ever thought about this, is it feasible?

Alex
skype name: grytpype2006
windows live messenger name: alex.thynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx