To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:35 PM
Subject: [access-uk] Re: accessible firewall

What about Commodo? It's free, however registration is required to
activate it, all of which is free. In terms of Outpost, it's not free,
but rather it's shareware, therefore there's a free 30 day trial you can
use before you need to buy it in order to continue using it beyond the
period. You're right, Zone Alarm (any flavour) is difficult and/or
impossible to use, particularly the paid-for versions, as the paid ones
seems to treat JAWS as malware and therefore the initial acceptance of
JAWS forces it to not speak. However, once you've accepted it JAWS will
work fine, but that's not the point; it's just too difficult to use.
Anyway I hope that helps.
On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:01:17 +0100, "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
said:
Hi all.

I asked about this a while ago but didn't really get enough information
so I'll widen my scope of my question.

Originally, I asked about accessible firewalls that are free.  I have
established I think that Zone Alarm is unlikely to be easily accessible
with JAWS so, if necessary I will go for a paid for firewall though of
course, a free one would be preferable!

My question is, which is the best to go for?  I don't mind being asked to
accept or decline any application that wants to connect to the outside
world so long as the dialogs are acceptable.

I know that Sygate has a free firewall, that Kirio is a free firewall and
that there is a free firewall called Outpost.  I believe you can get paid
for versions of these products and all are accessible.should I go for any
one of these products in particular?

Secondly, a few have talked about Look and Stop.  Is anyone using this?
It looks quite promising but the help info is not too accessible as it
uses screenshots and fairly poor english and I am not clear how to
manipulate the application rules but I would be willing to pay if this is
thought to be a particularly high quality product.

Any other thoughts on the best firewall to use would of course be much
appreciated.

Regards

Graham
Christopher Hallsworth