[access-uk] accessibility of experiment to make map info online accessible

Dear All,
First, I'd like to thank everyone who took the trouble to try running the
experiment. I tried to make it as short as possible while still making sure
that we could get reliable results, which unfortunately means that it does take
about half an hour to do and demands a lot of attention, and is quite
repetitive, since it needs to test a bunch of different conditions in the same
ways. I hope you'll be patient with this aspect of the experiment, it was
unavoidable since we need to find out which texts are most useful to blind and
VI users for communicating spatial information.
Regarding the accessibility part, all the radio buttons are labelled, including
the example, and the radio button choices begin on the line following the
question. The textbox has the preceding question labelled--I'm not sure if this
is misleading or not--hopefully not. I went through and checked all this again
just now. I also ran this by a blind computing officer who's used to training
people in using accessibility software, and he ran it with both Jaws and
Thunder (I believe) and didn't run into any problems. He did note that if
you're using Jaws, you can use the cursor keys to read the questions and the
spacebar to select the options and after clicking on an option, press enter to
enter forms mode. Pressing the plus sign on the number keypad exits forms mode.
Please email me directly if you run into any problems; my email address is
tkavita@xxxxxxxxxxx
If you haven't taken the experiment yet and would like to give it a try, we
still need a lot more responses! The experiment is online so you can run it at
your own convenience by visiting
http:/www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~tkavita/Experiments/RefFrame/
Thanks again for your help and patience!!
Best wishes,
Kavita Thomas
the Atlas.txt project: www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/research/atlas
Department of Computing Science