[access-uk] Re: Your thoughts on access keys on websites?

  • From: Catherine Turner <catherineturner2007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:58:59 +0000

Hi Tony,

JAWS key z wouldn't make any difference for the access keys.  That
switches the virtual cursor on and off, but doesn't free up any of
JAWS's keystrokes.  Of course if one wanted to use the access keys one
could press JAWS 3 to pass next key through to the application though
I haven't tried that with access keys.  It also wouldn't get rid of
the converse problem of access keys interfering with JAWS.

Not knowing enough about the development side of it (perhaps there is
a way of switching the access keys on/off) - it does seem that access
keys can interfere with screen reader keystrokes too much.

But I do want to counter this argument that you can have "proper
access" or well marked up html on the one hand and access keys on the
other.  There are two sites I use on a regular basis which have
headings, sensibly named links etc and also access keys.  I use the
access keys because, no matter how well marked up the html, it is
quicker to press an access key than, say, go through a list of
headings to get to the link I want to activate.  For me it's about
efficiency and getting my task done.  One keystroke is quicker than
two, and while this might not sound very significant it is very
significant if you use a particular website heavily and it all adds
up.

So I would say that access keys can be useful.  Whether it's possible
to implement them in a way that doesn't interfere with screen readers
is a different issue.  I imagine this would be possible with
stylesheets but whether/how you go about it is another issue.

Catherine