[access-uk] XP Upgrade

  • From: "Darren Brewer" <darren.m.brewer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:28:55 -0800

Hi All
I am currently using windows 98 SE and have been putting off upgrading to XP
for a long time. But now I think the time has come.

I currently have a 60 gig hard drive which is partitioned into 3. I want to
completely remove the partitions and wipe the hard drive. Then setup just 2
partitions. All of that is straightforward enough.

What I'm not sure of is whether to format the partitions as FAT 32. Then boot
up off a floppy and insert the XP cd rom to start the installation. Or whether
to leave the partitions unformatted and boot up from the XP cd rom itself.  In
either case I know the XP will reformat the partitions as NTFS types.

Can anyone verify if what I'm thinking will work? I've setup partitions and
installed windows many times but never with XP and it's different filing
system. So just want to chekc that my thinking is correct.

The only downside to installing from scratch is that I have to buy the full XP
home version which is £160 whereas the update version is half that price. But I
don't want any trace of the old version on my system.

Darren - The Brummy Woodworker