[access-uk] Re: Wireless query

  • From: Chris Hallsworth <christopherhallsworth71@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:10:07 +0000

Hi, please note that she's had the laptop three years this September, so Toshiba probably discontinued the Equium model, but produced a Satellite model instead. What you're describing sounds nothing like what she's got, except the volume control. Her laptop doesn't have an internal, like I explained in the original thread. The only thing she has at the back are a series of USB ports, as well as modem/ethernet ports, plus the AC adaptor socket, etc. Thanks for looking though, greatly appreciated.

At 22:48 27/01/2008 +0000, you wrote:
Hi Chris,

I have a feeling the M40X is in fact a Toshiba Satellite, as
it does not appear Toshiba they have an Equium series.
Anyway, the following assumes the former.

Is it just possible she has accidentally switched off the
wireless function?  My wife did exactly that today with her
HP laptop.

According to the picture in the M40X manual, on the right
hand side near the front, is the volume control. Slightly
below and towards the back you should find a small sliding
switch. (It's under the microphone jack socket) If the
illustration in the manual is anything to go by, this slider
will have three or four vertical ridges on it.

I can't establish which way is on. Whether it should be
fully forward, or fully back.  It may not be any help I
know, but there is an LED very slightly back from this
switch which I would guess should be lit if the wireless
connection is active.

If in fact it has been moved, and you change the position,
give it a few minutes to connect, or at least manually check
the wireless status.

George.