[access-uk] Re: Wireless drives

  • From: Jonathan H <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:55:41 +0100

Good morning Mark,

If all you want to do is backup pics and documents, you have a couple
of choices that are easier and completely free.

1: You could install Google Plus and Google Docs apps which will give
you unlimited synchronized online storage for pics under 2048 pixels
(which is about iphone size anyway), 1Gb for pics above that size, and
5Gb for documents - all will sync and upload automatically and be
available on your other PCs to view or sync.

Or:

2: Install Dropbox app which will also sync your docs and pics - you
get 2Gb free to start with, another 3Gb when you start syncing
pictures, which will give you enough storage for roughly 2,560
pictures - you can then refer people for blocks of 500Mb free, or buy
space, or copy them off to a disk.

3: You could use iCloud. Personally, I think it sucks compared to the
other two, but it does about the same thing for free.

Now, the BEST part about all of this is that it will do it instantly,
using your wifi or 3g connection (you can configure it to not use 3g
on both devices) AND dropbox keeps backups, even of deleted files.

So, imagine the scenario - you take a load of pictures. Phone gets
stolen - but you've got your pics already safe. Even if the person
wipes the phone, you're still safe.
But thieves aren't very bright, and quite a few have been caught out
because they've nicked a phone, then taken pics of their grinning
imbecilic selves or friends or their house - the owner gets notified
of new pics... combine that with a location service, and you have all
the elements of an arrest! And all for free.  Does that help?

Here are some examples where live image uploading has caught stupid
thieves out...
http://www.liveandlocalenc.com/phone-thief-uploads-pictures/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9289306/Woman-traces-stolen-iPhone-after-alleged-thiefs-photos-were-uploaded-to-iCloud.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2172694/Knife-wielding-cell-phone-thief-Dylan-Hankewycz-caught-self-portraits-automatically-download-victims-new-phone.html