[access-uk] Re: Window-Eyes VS Jaws - help?

  • From: "Dj Paddy" <mygroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:30:15 +0100

At 07:47 PM 29/10/2005, you wrote:

Na, DJ. Sorry but your dead wrong. Jaws is still number one. It still works
best with most programs.
That's a tough claim to make.  There is an unbelieveable amount of
software out there, and even window-eyes users don't claim it all
works.  The reason jaws works with as much software as it does is
that numerous end users have stepped into the breach to offerfree and
cost scripting solutions to popular applications.  Do you imagine
what support there is for win mx was placed there by freedom
scientific?  Give me a break.  I had the pleasure of consulting with
the man who did the original scripts for win mx and dcplusplus on
accessibility in filesharing products.  He did the scripts that are
now the last word for DCPlusPlus and it's clones.  You can bet your
life he never received a cent from FS for the hours he put in,
probably not from end users either, and you can be just as sure the
support wouldn't now be there if it wasn't for him.

Window Eyes still doesn't work with all MS Office
software.

Truth.

Window Eyes users say their software works, but then, they
describe how they navigate the likes of AdAware, and they mention 200
keystrokes to successfully complete one scan.

Well I have never cared for addaware, prefering spybot, for the very
reason that back when I used jaws as my mainscreenreader I could never get the thing to
fly. But again, do you think there would be scripting for addaware
in jaws if some lumpkin hadn't donated 10s of hours to shoestring
some scripts together? Peter, Addaware is a freeware program. That
means that FS can't sell customization for it because no one would
pay. Since they can't sell it, they disdain to design it, but
they'll be happy to include some one else's hard work for nothing and
claim as much credit as they can get away with. So if it wasn't for
some enterprising end-user, addaware wouldn't be any more accessible
in jaws than it is in window-eyes.

In some programs, like for instance WinMX, they even have to search
for some important buttons... like, um, the OK button?

Ooooh, now there's a prime example. A filesharing program on the rocks. Peter. . I've used win mx with jaws and window bridge, and if it had been viable as a piece of software, I might have stuck with it through window-eyes. The fact of the matter is though, win MX is... was... a piece of crap from features to inerds to interface. I liked nothing what-so-ever about the program, and the fact that no screan reader in the world works comfortably with it out of the box means absolutely nothing what-so-everr. Then again, see my comments above on support for freeware in freedom scientific.

I'm hearing also some horror stories regarding Window Eyes not
reading the status of read and unread messages.

A known bug in outlook express fixed in 5.0. "Injecture from a friend", Or, you can get real
and switch to eudora and fix the problem that way.

lol I think that's a bit harsh but truthfully I would probably switch to Eudora if it wasn't for the fact I have OE setup the way I like it and I'v eno problems with it plus I am not sure it's import as in Eudoras would do my folders justice and to set them back up and try and import messages and sort it would be a nightmare.

And Window Eyes doesn't even work with MS Media Centre, while Jaws
has worked with it since 6.0.

What is ms media center? Is that like Narrater or Notepad or msn anti-adware utilities? When you can use free winamp or Foobar2000 for anything, any, thing, media related except possibley for CD burning, why would you want something called MS media center? Rhye face.

I'm using a demo of Window Eyes right now and... oh darn Window Eyes has
locked up....

It might if you are using elloquence, a flaw in the synthesizer, but I run it here on a laptop for days using dectalk.

Plus if we get into versions of Elaquince the one that ships with Jaws 6. and 7.0 all crackle under the SB Live cards in XP, the one that shisp with Eyes doesn't. But this is a a exstention onto either screenreader.

Dj Paddy
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Logue" <peterlogue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Na, DJ. Sorry but your dead wrong. Jaws is still number one. It still works
best with most programs. Window Eyes still doesn't work with all MS Office
software. Window Eyes users say their software works, but then, they
describe how they navigate the likes of AdAware, and they mention 200
keystrokes to successfully complete one scan. In some programs, like for
instance WinMX, they even have to search for some important buttons ...
like, um, the OK button? I'm hearing also some horror stories regarding
Window Eyes not reading the status of read and unread messages. And Window
Eyes doesn't even work with MS Media Centre, while Jaws has worked with it
since 6.0.
I'm using a demo of Window Eyes right now and... oh darn Window Eyes has
locked up....

Peter