[access-uk] Re: Why are they so difficult?

  • From: "Neil Jarvis" <neiljarvis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 21:47:33 +1300

Ari and others,

I'm afraid this is a symptom of the current state of copyright legislation in the US and to some extent other countries as well. Its an irony that, as more titles become easier to access now that the digital age is upon us, fewer and fewer of them are actually legally available to non-Americans in the case of the US because of its stringent legislation in this area.

\The library for which I'm responsible used to get a lot out of the interloan systrem for instance when everyone was using cassettes: sadly in the digital age this system is no longer available to us as far as US libraries are concerned. And its why a lot of work is going on right now at the World Intelectual Property Organisation (WIPO) to change this. That organisation's Standing Committee On Copyright is currently working through a couple of models which, if successful, will ease these cross-border restrictive practices. One of these is an international treaty, supported by the World Blind Union, which will make the exchange of materials across national borders easier than it is today. Up until recently, this treaty was being blocked by the bloc of developed countries like the US, the EU and indeed my own country New Zealand. I'm glad to say though that this is changing, and New Zealand, Australia and, yes, even the US is starting to come round to the idea. There's a long way to go and I'm afraid you won't see any results in the immediate future, but its a start.

So, its not that the organisations you refer to are being deliberately unhehlpful: they're simply not allowed to be helpful to you if you are not a US citizen. Believe me, they are frustrated by this as you are and their representativers are actively working to change things.

By the way, its not only the US where this is a problem. I'm a British citizen living overseas, but am not able to access talking books directly from the RNIB: again, not because they want to be difficult about it but because they are not allowed to give unfettered access to their library to people based outside the UK. I can though at least negotiate the purchase of some of their titles by the library which I'm in charge of, but even that is not an unrestricted arrangement.

Its not quite the same as, but its similar to the silly, artificial and outdated situation which surrounds DVDs and the various so-called regions which make up the world in that field.

All the best,

Neil
----- Original Message ----- From: "ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>